Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Just finished this:

I'm sitting in my psychiatrist's office the next day, coming off from coke, sneezing blood. My psychiatrist's wearing a red V-neck sweater with nothing on underneath and a pair of cut-off jeans. I start to cry really hard. He looks at me and fingers the gold necklace that hangs from his tan neck. I stop crying for a minute and he looks at me some more time and then writes something down on his pad. He asks me something. I tell him I don't know what's wrong; that maybe it has something to do with my parents but not really or maybe my friends or that I drove sometimes and get lost; maybe it's the drugs.
"At least you realize these things. But that's not what I'm talking about, that's not really what I'm asking you, not really."
He gets up and walk across the room and straightens a framed cover of a Rolling Stone with Elvis Costello on the cover and the words "Elvis Costello repents" in large white letters. I wait for him to ask me the question.
"Like him? Did you see him at the Amphitheater? Yeah? He's in Europe now, I guess. At least that's what I heard on MTV. Like the last album?"
"What about me?"
"What about you?"
"What about me?"
"You'll be fine"
"I don't know," I say. "I don't think so."
"Let's talk about something else."
"What about me?" I scream, choking.
"Come on, Clay," the psychiatrist says. "Don't be so... mundane"

***

From Less Than Zero, by Bret Easton Ellis.

From my audio-stash to your heart:
Day of the Lords, by Joy Division

4 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

"so mundane", that's great, by the way could you recommend me a god one (psychiatrist)?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Silent said...

Sure: David Hume, Herman Hesse, Julio Cortázar, JD Sallinger, Ibargüengoitia, etc, etc, etc...

You do not need a psychotic (sorry: psychologist) physician to solve your problems.
Just read and read and read; and write fuck-loads of things.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ernesto Sandoval said...

ellis es de mi top 5 de autores de los noventa (vamos, sé que less than zero es del 84, pero tuvo su boom en los noventa). mi favorita, no sé vos, es glamourama. el otro día me dijeron que ya salió la nueva. luego vemos que tal.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous George aka Joy Division freak said...

Ah ese Gabriel tan locochón, mi jefa es sicóloga, y ojalá tuviera buenos gustos musicales. Pobres de los gatos que atiende, aunque a mi lleva analizándome (secretamente, lo sé) dieciocho años. Que buena piececita de demencia. Justo escuchaba esa misma canción de Joy Division cuando paseaba por los blogs ésta mañana.

Friday, April 21, 2006 3:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home